‘Body trends’ come and go, but if there’s one look that’s stood the test of time, it’s a small waist and big hips.
This highly sought-after appearance has been popular for decades, but it has only become more in demand recently.
If you’re wondering how you can achieve the look yourself, you’re not alone.
Millions of people have been asking themselves the same thing, and thankfully, that timeless hourglass figure is easier to establish than you might think.
In today’s article, we’re going to show you the exact exercises you should be doing to tone up and get your dream figure.
Why Do Some People Naturally Have An Hourglass Shape?
Not everyone spends hours in the gym to achieve the hourglass look. Some are lucky enough to have it naturally! It seems unfair, doesn’t it?
How come you have to spend hours in the gym working the right muscles, when some women are naturally blessed with the dream figure? Well, there are a few reasons…
The first is genetics. Genetics have a lot to answer for, don’t they? But the truth is, some women are just BORN with this shape because it’s in their genetics.
If you’re born with naturally bigger hip bones and a small waist, congrats! It’s exactly the same premise and some people are born with longer legs, smaller ears, or larger noses.
So, if you don’t have this shape naturally, it’s not worth beating yourself up over.
Another reason why you may not have the hourglass shape is because of your body weight. Excess fat can disguise your natural curves, and end up storing itself in ALL the wrong places.
It’s frustrating, but it happens. If this is the case, gentle workouts and a healthy diet may be the answer.
Remember: As desirable as this body shape is, it’s not worth dieting excessively (and unnecessarily) for. We really cannot stress this enough. If you’re happy with your weight, don’t diet because you feel like you have to.
They’re Deceiving You
Another possibility is that these women are simply deceiving you. Yes, really.
Technology works wonders, and it only takes a few tweaks in Photoshop to alter your figure and give yourself any body shape you desire.
So, don’t believe every picture you see on the internet – there’s a good chance it has been edited and filtered and isn’t a true representation of the person in front of the lens.
How Easy Is It To Get A Small Waist And Big Hips?
We’ll be honest: this probably won’t be the easy-breezy dream you’re hoping for. You can do all the workouts and diets you like, but one thing never changes – your bone structure.
The bone structure has a LOT to do with the hourglass shape, and although you can get pretty close to the real look with work and patience, if your body structure isn’t right, you may never achieve it.
It’s a sad reality, but it’s important to be realistic. This will save you from pouring blood, sweat, and tears into the prospect without achieving the right results.
What you CAN do, is alter your body fat and muscle mass. Sure, you can’t change your bones or where your body likes to store fat, but you CAN control how much fat is on your body.
So, here are a few things you can do…
- Lose excess fat
- Build muscle
Exercises To Build Bigger Hips
Want to build bigger hips? Here are a few tried and tested exercises you can do to help you on your journey.
I know, I know. Lunges suck. However, the classic side lunge is a great way to sculpt your hips.
Side lunges can give your glutes a good workout and help build your strength, which will put you well on your way to achieving the dream figure.
Plus, side lunges will give you a strong core and keep you flexible, so there are some great health benefits to be reaped, too!
- Stand straight with your feet close together.
- Take your right foot, step to the side, and slowly bend your knees while keeping your left leg straight.
- Rotate your leg and foot to the side, and ensure they’re in line with your bent knee.
- Keep bending further into your right knee and rotate your hips backward. While you do this, it’s important to keep your abdominals strong and engaged. Your spine should be feeling neutral, and your torso will be forward slightly.
We’d recommend 10-12 repetitions and 2-3 sets.
Curtsy lunges are another great way to build your hips.
- Stand straight with your feet together.
- Move your right leg behind your left, and bend your knees as you land. Keep your chest high and your abdominals strong.
- WIth your knees aligned over your shoelaces, bend and aim your back knee to the ground.
- Now, stand up tall as you move back to your starting positions.
Also, don’t forget to work on your core! Simple ab workouts are a great way to work towards your goal, and many of them can be done from the comfort of your home.
Don’t Neglect Your Diet
Exercise isn’t the only way to achieve the hourglass figure. You’ll also need to pay close attention to your diet.
- Eat meat with a low-fat content like chicken or turkey
- Load up on vegetables that are high in vitamins and fiber
- Add powder supplements in line with your diet, including natural extracts like berry powder and maca root for an extra dose of nutrients
- Eat plenty of berries and whole grains, including seeds, nuts, blueberries, spices, and blackberries
The Bottom Line
Although we’re not all fortunate enough to have been born with a small waist and big hips, it is possible to get closer to your dream figure with the right food and workouts.
Remember, though, your bone structure plays an important role in establishing this figure, and it cannot be changed.
If you can’t achieve it, even with the right diet and exercise, forgive yourself – unfortunately, we’re not all that lucky!